DISCLAIMER

All rights of photos and text reserved. Usage of photos or text from my blog on other websites or for any other purpose only with prior permission. If you want to use any material from my blog please contact me by email.

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Vanity Plates

Hi!

No this post is not about imaginary or otherwise stange anodes. This is about car licence plates which are personalized to express a message. In many countries, a specific combination of letters and digits can be chosen, usually for an extra fee. Being totally into tubes, my licence plates always have a tube type in them. I just got the plates for my new car, so I thought this might make a nice topic for the blog.




In Germany there are certain restrictions, how the licence plate can be personalized. The plate always starts with a 1-3 letter prefix which specifies the region. Then it is followed by 1 or 2 letters and up to 4 digits (depending on region).

Since it is among my favorite tubes, the 45 makes a perfect theme for a licence plate, of course in it's original incarantion as UX245.




In the US there is much more freedom how you can personalize your plate. My friend Jeremy sent a photo of his:


 
 
Quite appropriate, since it matches the name of his blog. He used to have this plate a long time, here is a photo of an older one:
 
 
 

Next the licence plate of Dietmar, a long time member of the Munich Triode Mafia. Dietmar is famous for his incredible loudspeaker creations, he builds nice tube amps too:




The plate from my friend Bernd, obviously a DHT aficionado:




This is the plate of my current car:




And my girl friend's:




And finally the plate of my previous car, which was my very first automobile, this was from the time, when I still lived in Munich:




Of course that one had to carry the name of my all time favorite indirectly heated tube! I donated the second EC8020 plate to the auction of the 2005 European Triode Festival. It was sniped by Christian, who likes such awkward stuff.

Do you have a licence plate with a vacuum tube theme too? Send a photo and I will publish it!

Best regards

Thomas

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for including me! Greetings and salutations from the West!

    ReplyDelete